MMC has been working with Grace St. Luke's to renovate the church's nave, chancel, chapel, narthex and balcony for structural repairs, systems modernization, historical preservation and acoustical improvements. As part of the project, the church’s large Tiffany Ascension window was removed to be fitted with a new aluminum frame for long-term stability and waterproofing.
For historical perspective, Tiffany Glass refers to types of glass developed and produced from 1878 to 1933 at the now famous Tiffany Studios in New York, by Louis Comfort Tiffany. This particular window was commissioned in 1900 and the original installation was actually overseen by Louis Tiffany himself! The Tiffany Glass is surrounded by panels comprising The All Saints Window, the later work of Payne-Spiers Studios, given by the parish from 1949 to 1954. Grace St. Luke’s has written more on the history of many of their stained glass windows here.
This week, the stained glass was painstakingly reinstalled, one panel at a time, into the new frame. The frame was custom fabricated to hold the Tiffany window as well as a layer of insulated glass to protect the historic window from the weather.